Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

AUGUST GUILD EVENT

Alas, I missed out on the July Sommelier Guild event due to my being out of town... but since that was the annual Let’s Talk Business, And While We’re At It, Why Don’t You Bring Your Own Bottle Of Wine This Time dinner, I didn’t have too many regrets.

Tonight, however, is different.

Tonight’s event is a tasting of Sauvignon Blanc wines of the world. Not that I’m particularly fond of white wines - I’m not - but we will be at the Atlanta Fish Market, in Buckhead, one of my favorite suppliers of Piscine Provender.

Here da menu:

Speaker’s Wine: Chile
2009 Concha y Toro Casillero del Diablo Reserve

First Flight: New Zealand
2009 Clifford Bay (Awatere Valley, Marlborough)
2009 Whitehaven (Wairau & Awatere Valleys, Marlborough)***
2009 Spy Valley (Marlborough)

Yellowfin Tuna Carpaccio, Shallot, Chives, and Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Second Flight: California
2008 Quivira “Fig Tree” (Dry Creek Valley)
2008 Cliff Lee (Napa Valley)
2009 John Anthony (Truchard)(Napa Valley)**

Florida Black Grouper with a Saffron Risotto

Third Flight: France
2008 Jean Reverdy et Fils Sancerre “La Reine Blanche”
2008 Domaine Vincent Delaporte Sancerre “Chavignol”**
2008 Henri Bourgeois Sancerre “Le M.D. de Bourgeois”**

Rainbow Trout Meunière with Browned Lemon Butter and Capers, Whipped Potatoes and Thin Beans

Dessert: Chile
2007 Concha y Toro Late Harvest (Maule Valley)***

Warm Italian Rum Raisin Bread Pudding With Vanilla Bean Crème Anglaise

Now, I know that the prospect of a Fishy Dinner makes some people’s flesh crawl. But not me: I love fish, and I am perfectly able to eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Except, maybe, for budgetary reasons. Fish ain’t cheap.

This evening I hope to be joined by the Irascible, Superannuated Paraplegic - Denny, hizzownself - with whom I can tell all manner of Fish Stories. Then we can break out the cards and play “Go Fish.”

Update: Looks like Denny will not be joining us this evening. He’s going to Bonaire in a few weeks for a scuba diving vacation, so he’s taking the time to jump in the pool and check out his equipment. Not too bad for a guy whose legs don’t work, huh?

Update 2: Excellent food and wine pairing. My favorites indicated with asterisks. And there’s more...

Lagniappe:
Domaine Le Portail Cour-Cheverny 2004
Etienne de Loury Terre de Fumée Sauvignon Blanc 2006

These were provided by Parks, one of the Revered Elders of the Guild. Wine from Cour-Cheverny is not sauvignon blanc; rather, it is made from the Romarantin grape, an unusual varietal. It’s a fairly new appellation, having been proclaimed in 1993.

2 comments:

Yabu said...

Denny is truly an amazing person. He lives life to the fullest, probably more than most people whose legs do work.

Laughing Wolf said...

Have you tried the Tormenta Viognier (Chile) yet? Very nice, and no oak.