Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Friday, June 7, 2013

THE OTHER ELISSON AGES APACE

The Other Elisson in the Vineyards
The Other (younger!) Elisson enjoys an afternoon amongst the vines of the North Fork of Long Island.

June 7, 2013 is customarily rendered 6-7-13 in the United States.  And, look - 6 + 7 = 13!  Isn’t that frickin’ remarkable?

OK, OK, it’s not all that big a deal.  But it is a date of significance, for it is my brother’s very own Natal Anniversary.  Fifty-seven years ago today, The Other Elisson made his first appearance at Lakeside Hospital - now long defunct - in Copiague, New York.

All these years later, I can still remember my mother, heavy with child, on her way out the door.  At the time, I must have believed she had a choice in the boy-girl matter, for I asked that she bring me back a baby brother. Somewhat to my surprise, but certainly to my great joy, she obliged me.

Like all siblings, we’ve had our ups and downs.  As kids in our Snot-Nose Years, our nearly four-year age difference meant that we alternated between ignoring each other, annoying each other, and just being brothers.  But as an adult, I’ve seen my kid brother grow into a warm-hearted, thoughtful, conscientious man, a mensch in the real meaning of that venerable Yiddish term. I am very happy to be me, but in many ways I wish I were more like him.

Alas, I cannot be with The Other Elisson to celebrate, since we are in Philadelphia enjoying the festivities surrounding Elder Daughter’s graduation from Klown Kollege the Pig Iron School for Advanced Performance Training... another reason to celebrate on this most auspicious day.  But I will raise a glass in his honor.  Happy birthday, bro!

No comments: