Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

TAP, TAP

Hail to thee, blithe spirit -
Boid thou never woit.

- Poicy Shelley, from “To a Skylark”

While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door...

- Edgar Allen Poe, from “The Raven”



As I pounded away at my keyboard, I heard a bizarre tapping sound, a sort of clickety-click coming from the nearby foyer.

What was Stella up to? I thought. But then I realized that she was stretched out on the floor next to me... and Dee wasn’t due home for another hour. Hmmm.

A quick look upward and I saw the source of the sound: a yellow bird that had perched on the palladium window above our entry door, pecking intermittently at the window as if to entreat entry.

This little guy had visited us before. Several weeks ago, Dee had caught him doing the same thing... but he flew away before I could photograph him. Now he was back, and he was bolder. The camera’s flash didn’t faze him in the slightest.

I’m guessing he is a canary, or possibly some other kind of finch. It looks like he is missing his long tailfeathers. An encounter with a cat? Bratty kids? Who knows? His flying abilities appear to be unimpaired.

No, I’m not looking for a pet bird. Nothing good comes from adopting the random exotic critter that flies into your window - at least, so I’ve heard.

Update:
The little bastard’s back... again. And again.

4 comments:

Erica said...

Nothing good, indeed. *cough* Doofus *cough*

Elisson said...

That's exactly the comment I was expecting (and hoping) to get. *cough* Doofus *cough* indeed.

LeeAnn said...

Never adopt random critters. It usually leads to bizarre and ill-fated matrimony.
Or is it just me? Yeah? Again? Crap.

Erica said...

I am predictable. Waaah.