Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

THE DOCTOR IS IN


The Doctor Cocktail... it’ll cure what ails you.

Feeling under the weather? Try one of these.

Doctor Cocktail

2 oz Jamaican rum
1 oz Swedish Punsch
1 oz freshly squeezed lime juice

Combine ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice; shake vigorously and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a lime twist.

What the hell is Swedish Punsch? Glad you asked. It’s a spice-infused liqueur traditionally made with Batavia arrack, a sort of Indonesian rum, which makes it a fine complement to any rum-based concoction. Because it can be hard to find at your local Adult Beverage Emporium, I make it myself using a recipe I discovered at Serious Eats.

Although the traditional Doctor Cocktail formula calls for Jamaican rum (Myers’s dark rum is an excellent choice), I’ve made it with Haitian and Venezuelan rums with excellent results. The drink pictured above was made with Wray & Nephew White Overproof Rum, a highly potent Jamaican popskull. I ought to call it The Anesthesiologist.

1 comment:

Kevin Kim said...

I don't drink alcohol, but I am making my way through George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, so when I read "arrack," I think of an arakh, which is a nasty-looking weapon in the "Game of Thrones" universe (see some pics here, and video here).

Perhaps your drink has the same bite.