Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

WELL VENTILATED

Colander at Carmel Shuk
Elisson sports a natty colander at the Carmel Shuk (Market) in Tel Aviv.  (Photo courtesy of my friend Gary.)

The weather can be a bit on the warm side in Israel, especially if you choose, as we did, to visit in July.

As such, it’s a good idea to come prepared with a goodly supply of perforated headgear.  Whether you cover your noggin for religious reasons or you’re simply trying to keep your shiny dome from suffering the ravages of a third-degree sunburn, you will never go wrong with a well ventilated metallic chapeau.

(You didn’t think I would go two entire weeks in an exotic foreign location without sticking a colander on my cruller, didja?)

9 comments:

Kevin Kim said...

I will never, ever understand this urge.

Claude said...

I don't believe this!!!!!!

Nancy said...

I would hope you would.....so many colanders..and only one head!

Rahel Jaskow said...

I think we need to make a new fashion rule here: during heat waves (you guys were here during a record one!), one lays aside the metal head-coverings and uses cheesecloth.

Elisson said...

@Rahel - Not to worry.

'Twas borrowed from a merchant's shop,
Worn solely for the photo op.
Wear metal on one's head all day?
You'd need to have a brain of clay.

Omnibabe said...

Not a colander, but a sieve! (A fetchingly natty sieve, but a sieve indeed.)

Elisson said...

True dat, Omnibabe - it is indeed a sieve. But when the opportunity to look ridiculous presents itself of a hot Friday afternoon in a crowded shuk, I am not overmuch particular.

BobG said...

Looks like a tight fit. If it was much smaller you could use it for a yarmulke.

Rahel Jaskow said...

"Metal on one's head all day," eh? The Crusaders did that -- didn't they?