Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Monday, March 12, 2012

THE IDES OF MEAT

Osso Buco
Delicious, succulent osso buco, carved from the legs of a tender baby calf.

March 15 - the Ides of March - marks the tenth international EATAPETA Day, the day on which we eat animal protein morning, noon and night for the sole purpose of sticking a thumb in the eye of PETA. (Well, that, plus animal protein tastes good.)

EATAPETA (Eat a Tasty Animal for PETA) Day is the brainchild of Meryl Yourish, who explains its historic origins in this post.

I’ve been observing the occasion - nay, celebrating it - for seven years now. Only question right now is, what to eat? Perhaps some lovely veal shanks: I love osso buco. (It’s osso very buco.) But lamb, venison, duck, chicken, or good ol’ beef are all possibilities, too. And fish!

[My buddy Houston Steve suggested oysters, foie gras, and veal. “I understand the foie gras and the veal,” I replied. “But what’s up with the oysters?” “They’re still alive when you eat ’em,” said he.]

There’s only one rule with respect to EATAPETA Day, and Alex Bensky said it best: If it didn’t have a mother, it’s not on the menu.

Carp Mommy

2 comments:

BobG said...

I'm thinking some beef heart might be good that day.

Houston Steve said...

I wish that damned fish would quit carping!