Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Saturday, March 17, 2012

I MAY NOT BE IRISH, BUT KISS ME ANYWAY

Star and Shamrock
Sign outside the Star and Shamrock Tavern & Deli on H Street, Washington, DC.

It’s Saint Patrick’s Day! Time to wear the green and drink to excess. The menu? Corned beef and cabbage... Irish soda bread... smoked salmon... Irish whisky...

I figure corned beef is popular in Eire because it’s one of the few remaining sources of protein, now that the snakes have been driven out. And it - along with the tavern whose sign is pictured above - is one of the rare cultural linkage points between the Irish and us Red Sea Pedestrians. And so I’m all for it.

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig!

1 comment:

Kevin Kim said...

Interesting symbolism: the Magen David surrounding an Irish* symbol of the Trinity.


Kevin

*St. Pat himself wasn't Irish, technically speaking, but the Irish appropriated the symbolism.