Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Friday, March 2, 2012

FRIDAY RANDOM TEN

The iPod d’Elisson
The iPod d’Elisson.

I’ve been flogging this Friday Random Ten thing for over six years now, and despite the diminished frequency of my FRT posts, it’s still fun to trot it out once in a while. For me, anyway.

In case you’re new to all this, the Friday Random Ten is where I post a list of ten songs as coughed up by the iPod d’Elisson on the “shuffle” setting. Sometimes, if the mood strikes me, I’ll even throw in a lyric or two.

Amazingly enough, my old-school iPod still functions. Yes, I know the terms “iPod” and “old-school” look a bit ridiculous juxtaposed in a sentence, but bear with me: The iPod d’Elisson dates from the pre-video era. That’s right! A full twenty gigabytes of nuthin’ but music. There are 3,587 individual files on the thing, and room for plenty more.

The iPod has evolved since I purchased mine, but the essentials are the same: It’s an amazingly compact way to store and play music. Probably no single device gave a greater jump-start to the digital music revolution. And a tiny iPod Shuffle, about the size of a square of Ghirardelli chocolate, has been a comfort to Eli as he goes about the business of recovering from his stroke, since it gives him access to the music he loves.

Now, what’s on the box this week? Let’s take a look:

  1. Paradise del’ Anima Persa - J. Ralph

  2. Minnie the Moocher - Cab Calloway

    My Dad - Eli, hizzownself - used to sing this song to me and my brother when we were little. “She was the roughest, toughest frail, but Minnie had a heart as big as a whale.”

  3. Evaporated - Ben Folds Five

  4. Time of the Season - The Zombies

  5. Sea to Sea - Matisyahu

  6. Act I, Scene 2: I Can’t Talk Very Well - John Adams, Nixon in China

  7. The Last of the Arkansas Greyhounds - Leo Kottke

    From the legendary 6 & 12 String Guitar album... which I have in both digital form and in the original vinyl.

  8. Mr. P.C. - John Coltrane

  9. Kuvernöörin tytär - Tuomari Nurmio & Alamaailman Vasarat

  10. You Got To Know How - Bonnie Raitt

It’s Friday. What are you listening to?

4 comments:

BobG said...

These are from my Nano iPod, that I posted on my blog yesterday morning.

"I Ain't Me, Babe" by Bob Dylan
"Red, Red Wine" by Neil Diamond
"Runnin' Blue" by The Doors
"Gypsy" by The Moody Blues
"Greensleeves" by Blackmore's Night
"Crazy Little Thing Called Love" by Queen
"Sunshine of Your Love" by Cream
"Runaway" by Del Shannon
"Blue World" by The Moody Blues
"Daydream" by The Lovin' Spoonful

Joe said...

Ridin' the storm out live -- REO
In the Presence of -- Yes
Go your own way -- Fleetwood Mac
Hotel California -- eagles
Moonlight in Vermont -- Sinatra
Had to cry Today -- Blind faith
Hey hey My My --Neil Young
Crime of the Century -- Supertramp
Yours is no Disgrace -- Yes
She caught the Katy -- Blues Brothers

Erica said...

I'll bet Steve Jobs, in whatever transmigration he is in, is smiling with the knowledge that his invention is providing comfort to someone who suffered a stroke. Continued prayers and good wishes to the convalescing Eli.

Claude said...

Don't have an iPod. But Harry Belafonte was 85, yesterday. I posted on Facebook, how wonderful it was to listen (again and again) to his magnificent Carnegie Hall Performance, in Pangnirtung, under the Arctic midnight sun, in 1965. I still have my (now-scratched) LPs. And that's what I'm listening to, on this Friday, clapping hands and singing with the audience.

Thank you for asking. Prayers for your father and family.