Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

EATAPETA DAY

Prime Ribeyes

My friend Meryl reminded me that today - the ides of March - is the ninth annual EATAPETA Day.

International Eat a Tasty Animal for PETA Day, that is.

I’ve written about this occasion several times over the years, so there is no need for me to expound at length on the whys and wherefores of the observance. But any excuse to eat Animal Protein is good enough for me.

I think it’s as good a time as any to fire up the stove and lay on a pot of cassoulet - French-style baked beans. It’s a nice, meaty dish, and I will be sure to throw in some lamb shoulder and duck confit to jazz it up even more. Yes, there’s nothing like lambie and duckie for din-din... because meat tastes even better when it’s from a cute animal.

What are you having for EATAPETA Day?

Postscriptum: I assembled my cassoulet but have saved it for future consumption. In the meantime, I had animal protein at every meal: herring at breakfast, smoked salmon at lunch, and both baked cod and chicken at suppertime. The lambie and duckie, meanwhile, are waiting patiently in the fridge for my discreet attentions.

6 comments:

LeeAnn said...

Thanks for the reminder. Today is a good day to break out the steak-nomming skills. Particularly since I forgot about Steak and BJ Day yesterday.

Randy Rager said...

I had a bunch of steak strips in an omelet with portabello mushrooms and smoked Tillamook cheddar.

Danielle said...

You know I don't need a holiday to enjoy a steak or a pork chop, but meat always tastes just a little better on IEATAPETA Day. :) I happen to be making a pork roast with white beans and cranberries.

Teresa said...

We are having chicken because it's left over, it's delicious, and best of all, already cooked. heh.

Tomorrow we eat out - then Thursday we have pulled pork on the menu. It's a meat eating week here. Yum.

BobG said...

Got a corned beef brisket cooking for the next few hours in a pot.

Claude said...

My Inuit friends, on Baffin Island, will have their daily raw "poor" seal's liver. Wish I could join them, as in the past. I'll have a favourite bacon, sausage omelet, and Chateauneuf-du-Pape.