Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

FAN MAIL FROM SOME FLOUNDER

Young Fishermen
Young Elisson (L) and the even younger Other Elisson (R), 45 years ago. [Click to embiggen.]

My Aunt Zelda stumbled upon these ancient snapshots a couple of months ago... souvenirs of a flounder-fishing expedition in the Great South Bay in the summer of 1966. She dutifully shoved them in an envelope and sent them off to me, no doubt because she couldn’t stand to be in the same house with them. Can’t say I blame her.

I have no idea what it is I am eating in that picture. I do know, however, that The Other Elisson is holding a fresh-caught flounder. Not a pretty fish by any means, what with both of its eyes being on the same side of its head... but tasty enough. It was a Friday school lunch staple back in our Snot-Nose Days.

5 comments:

Kris said...

Looks like a fish-stick or a hotdog weenie, but if it were a bit darker it could've been a stogie. :) Love the pics. In the summer of 1966, I was still blissfully floating in a pool of amniotic fluid. LOL

Henry Blowfly said...

Funny thing about fish. A rule of thumb is that the uglier they are, the better they taste!

BobG said...

"A rule of thumb is that the uglier they are, the better they taste!"

Some truth to that; I like both monkfish and catfish, and neither one would win any beauty awards.

Jim - PRS said...

Interesting. The hat-thing obviously started an early age. I guess colanders weren't far behind.

Laura said...

Those are great kid pics!