Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Sunday, September 1, 2013

INDULGENCE YOU CAN EAT WITH A SPOON

Blueberry-Lime Ice Cream
Blueberry-Lime Ice Cream... tart and refreshing.

This time of year, with the Dog Days still upon us and a surfeit of tasty fruits and berries appearing in the produce aisles, is a perfect time to make frozen desserts.

I love the cold stuff.  Gelato.  Ice cream.  Sorbet.  Gawd, I can barely resist its siren song as I walk past the Ben & Jerry aisle, AKA the Valley of the Shadow of Fat-Ass.  But somehow I do.

These days, if I’m gonna eat a frozen dessert, I will generally make it at home... or eat one that my buddy Gary has made.  (I will make an exception for the gelato at Capogiro, which kicks the ass of any other frozen dessert like a red-headed stepchild.  Fortunately for my waistline, they are not local.)

This Blueberry-Lime Ice Cream recipe came my way courtesy of Serious Eats.  Our fridge had the requisite blueberries, but that is not what made me want to try this out - it was the fact that the recipe included cinnamon and star anise.  Wait, what?

Cinnamon and star anise.  I could only imagine the layers of flavor those bad boys would impart to this chilly treat... and so, out came the old ice cream maker.

Hoo HAH.

That’s all.  Hoo HAH.

Try not to lick your computer screen, willya?

No comments: