Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Sunday, June 24, 2012

JUNE GUILD EVENT

This year’s Sommelier Guild Banquet - the much-anticipated June event - will be held this evening at the Chops Lobster Bar in Buckhead.

Alas, Denny, the Curmudgeonly Superannuated Paraplegic, will not be in attendance. Nor will his political Opposite Number, Houston Steve. Their combined absence will make for less scintillating political repartee, but that’s a price I’d normally be willing to pay... except I won’t be there either, being that the Missus and I will be just returned from a lengthy road trip. Exhaustion plus wine equals numbnitude.

The annual Guild Banquet is where the best wines of the year are trotted out to be paired with the finest food.  I’m already salivating from having taken a peek at the menu - look upon it, Esteemed Readers, and despair along with me!

Speaker’s Wine:
NV Ferrari Brut Trento, Italy

First Flight:
2001 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc Grand Cru Pessac-Léognan - Bordeaux, France
2004 Dirler Riesling Grand Cru “Kessler” (Cuvée Cécile) - Alsace, France 
2007 Kistler Chardonnay Carneros “Hudson” - California

Oyster Rockefeller: Chesapeake Bay Oysters, Pernod, Spinach, Hollandaise Maine Lobster Bisque 

Second Flight:
2001 Il Macchione Vino Nobile di Montepulciano - Tuscany, Italy
2000 Alessandro e Gian Natale Fantino Barolo “Vigna Dei Dardi” - Piedmont, Italy
2000 Eraldo Viberti Barolo Riserva - Piedmont, Italy

Dino’s Pan Roasted Chicken Vesuvio: Thin Green Beans, Whipped Potatoes, Sweet Onions and Jus  

Third Flight:
2005 Château Cos Labory Grand Cru Classé St. Estèphe-  Bordeaux, France
2005 Clark-Claudon Cabernet Sauvignon - Napa Valley, California
2005 Karl Lawrence Cabernet Sauvignon “Herb Lamb”- Napa Valley, California

Filet Pepper Steak: Cracked Pepper Crust, Brandy Peppercorn Sauce, Broccoli, Mushrooms, Port 
Braised Shallot

Dessert:
1997 Taylor Fladgate Vintage Porto Portugal

Chocolate Toffee Crunch Pie: Morrelli’s Handmade Coffee Ice Cream

My usual practice would be to report back after the event with my jaded, bilious commentary. Instead, silence - and envy - will reign.

2 comments:

Denny said...

Alas! Due to my strike, I have had to cut down on my drinking and I'm dropping out of the Guild.

Denny said...

Arrrgggghhh! Should say "Due to my stroke..."