Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

THE CHEESE-LOG ROLL

That’s the semi-cutesy name I’ve given my blogroll, the list of blogs I read with frequency varying from multiple times daily to Once in a Blue Moon.

The list is generally stored on my sidebar, although I use Bloglines - an RSS feed aggregator - to actually read ’em. A select few are visited directly, thanks to hard-coded links on my sidebar.

I am notorious for Blogroll Excess. Other bloggers have, on occasion, lampooned me for my ridiculously large ’roll. Fair enough.

That’s all gonna change... out of necessity, mainly. Bloglines has, alas, been taken over by an outfit calling itself MerchantCircle - I will resist the temptation to call them MerchantCircleJerks - and the handy-dandy blogrolling function that made it easy to put my RSS aggregator list on the sidebar is now gone. (At least they didn’t shut the site down completely, as originally planned.)

That’s why there’s no blogroll on my sidebar, in case you were curious. It’s not ’cause I don’t love ya.

I will be reconstituting my blogroll by hardcoding it into my template, which is (1) a great big pain in the arse, and (2) a disincentive for a bloated blogroll. But these days, nobody cares about blogroll links, do they? Everyone is busy Twittering and Facebooking, and the Bloggy World has gone to shit, mostly.

4 comments:

Kevin Kim said...

Your daughters seem to have loads of artistic talent. Perhaps they could do a sleeker, classier version of the blogroll I have-- you know, with all the sidebar images. You'd be the talk of the town.

Danielle said...

I dunno, I surf blogroll links quite a bit, including yours. :)

Kris said...

Yeah, Elisson, I use your blogroll too. As for your blog, I receive updates via GoogleReader, so I still read everything you write. Quite often you elicit a facepalm response, but I just can't quit you.

Libby Spencer said...

Blogrolls aren't the big deal they were once. Nobody uses them for gauging rankings anymore. And most people are definitely blogging less and doing the FB /Twitter thing more. I'd bet half the blogs on my rolls are either defunct or in hibernation.

Everything changes...