Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A MILESTONE OF SORTS

I almost hate to admit this, but I observed a milestone today... and this Online Journal, being a manifestation of today’s Ars Electronica, is as good a place to announce it as any.

For the first time since I have no idea when, I no longer subscribe to a printed newspaper.

We’ve taken the Atlanta Journal-Constitution since moving here almost fifteen years ago... the paper Denny famously refers to as the “Atlanta Urinal and Constipation.”  Not the best paper by any stretch, but I believe the local fishwrap serves a noble purpose.  Nevertheless, their subscription rates have increased steadily over the last few years, and these days they’re not quite so willing to cut a deal in order to retain a long-term subscriber.

And now that they offer a digital edition at a much more reasonable tariff, why not save a tree or two?

As of today, the Elisson household has gone digital.  With the daily newspaper, anyway.  As far as I can see, the only real downside is that it is impractical to line a bird cage with an e-paper... and since we have no bird, who gives a crap?

2 comments:

Houston Steve said...

Shall I take it, since you have no bird and the paper is vitual, that the crap you refer to giving is also somewhat etherial?

Elisson said...

One of my manifold talents is that I can give crap in both the real and virtual senses. It makes the ether both ethereal and fragrant.