Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Friday, October 8, 2010

FRIDAY RANDOM TEN - MUSIC AND CATS EDITION

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” - Albert Schweitzer

Schweitzer’s quote has inspired at least one blogger... and today, it serves as the launching pad for this week’s Friday Random Ten.

You know the Friday Random Ten, of course. It’s a venerable Internet meme, one that I’ve been using for years... although with a bit less frequency lately. Ten songs, culled at random from the voluminous Tune-Heap that resides in my Little White Choon-Box, representing less than 0.3% of that device’s musical inventory.

What’s playing today?:
  1. Prison Food - Ben Folds

  2. Beautiful - Lee & LeBlanc

  3. California - Joni Mitchell

  4. Devorzhum - Dead Can Dance

  5. Act I, Scene 2: Founders Come First, Then Profiteers - John Adams, Nixon in China

  6. Any Dub You Like - Easy Star All-Stars

  7. Geek USA - Smashing Pumpkins

  8. I’m the Urban Spaceman - Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band

    I’m the urban spaceman, baby; I’ve got speed
    I’ve got everything I need
    I’m the urban spaceman, baby; I can fly
    I’m a supersonic guy

    I don’t need pleasure
    I don’t feel pain
    If you were to knock me down I’d just get up again
    I’m the urban spaceman, baby; I’m makin’ out
    I’m all about

    I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face
    My natural exuberance spills out all over the place

    I’m the urban spaceman, baby; I’m intelligent and clean
    Know what I mean?
    I’m the urban spaceman, as a lover second to none
    It’s a lot of fun

    I never let my friends down
    I’ve never made a boob
    I’m a glossy magazine, an advert in the tube

    I’m the urban spaceman, baby; here comes the twist -
    I don’t exist


  9. Your Own Choice - Procol Harum

  10. Act I - Tolstoy, Scene 3 - Philip Glass, Satyagraha

Now that we’ve gotten the Music out of the way, it’s time for Cats. Or Cat, anyway.

Bedkuna

Years ago, when I used to carpool to one of the Great Corporate Salt Mine’s outposts in coastal Texas - a ~70-mile round trip - one of the guys used to complain that my music sounded like cats yowling. (He was probably about the same age I am now.) To which Hakuna responds, “You say that as if it’s a bad thing.”

It’s Friday. What music and cats are you listening to?

Update: Carnival of the Cats #343 is up at Mind of Mog. Check out alla them kitties. Now, dammit!

No comments: