Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Monday, May 27, 2013

MEMORIAL DAY

American Flag

Memorial Day is the opening shot of summer, the unofficial start of the season that is bracketed at the other end by Labor Day.  For schoolkids, it’s an indication that vacation time either has already arrived or will do so soon.  And for millions of others, it’s a day to hit the grill... or the local shopping mall.

For me?  Not so much.

This day is, to me, a solemn holiday, much in the style of Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur.  It’s a time to be thoughtful, perhaps a bit introspective... a time to remember those brave souls who made the ultimate sacrifice as they defended their country.  Our country.

Wishing someone a Happy Memorial Day seems a bit inappropriate.  I try to wish people a meaningful holiday, with the meaning up to the individual I am addressing.

So, to my Esteemed Readers - enjoy the day in whichever manner you choose, and may it be meaningful in all the right ways.

1 comment:

Johnny Tabs said...

My feelings exactly. Well said, brother.