Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

JUST PEACHY

Peach-Amaretto Preserves
Half-pints of Peach Preserves with Amaretto await their destiny atop a scoop of ice cream, or as accompaniment to a toasted English muffin.

I am often disappointed by the peaches here in Georgia, but these were terrific - full of the flavors of summer sunshine. Couldn’t eat ’em all, so I decided to convert ’em into something that would keep: Peach Preserves with Amaretto.

There’s a peach kernel floating in each jar, cracked out from a peach pit. (I roast the pits first to remove any traces of cyanogenic glycosides the kernels may contain.) Those kernels contribute an elusive aroma that is complemented by the Amaretto.

This stuff practically cries out to be dumped atop a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream.

4 comments:

marnilla@wordpress.com said...

OMG.

You don't like the peaches in GA?? I have been yearning for BETTER Peaches forever, and I live in the Yankee NE. . .

Love yr blog btw.

xo

Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

That really looks yummy!

Kevin Kim said...

Veddy nice, veddy nice.

Elisson said...

Marnilla - some of the best peaches I've ever had were Raritan white peaches from New Jersey. Georgia peaches are OK, but most of the ones I see in the supermarkets are horrible and flavorless.