Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

FAREWELL, GRACIE

Gracie, R.I.P.
Gracie. Requiescat in pace.  (Photo: Meryl Yourish.)

Meryl Yourish reports the passing of her beloved sixteen-year-old kitty Gracie.

Gracie has been a part of my life - albeit at a distance - for the past nine years now. It’s hard to believe she’s gone, but, alas, that’s what our Animal Companions do. They stay with us long enough to become an indispensable part of our lives... and then they break our hearts when they leave us.

Our condolences to Meryl, who at least will have Tig to comfort her. Godspeed, Gracie - ave atque vale!

1 comment:

Kevin Kim said...

Because I see The One Tree and White Gold Wielder on that shelf, I feel a Stephen R. Donaldson quote coming on-- a poem about death from his first novel of The First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever:

Death reaps the beauty of the world-
bundles old crops to hasten new.
Be still, heart:
hold peace.
Growing is better than decay:
I hear the blade which severs life from life.
Be still, peace:
hold heart.
Death is passing on-
the making way of life and time for life.
Hate dying and killing, not death.
Be still, heart:
make no expostulation.
Hold peace and grief
and be still.


RIP, Gracie.