Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Friday, December 3, 2010

SIMPLE

Those of us who enjoy the occasional Mixed Tipple are familiar with this stuff:

Simple Syrup

Simple syrup!

It’s just sugar and water, but it finds its way into a whole host of Grown-Up Beverages, not least of which is the Sazerac Cocktail.

I saw these bottles on the shelf at our local Stupid-Market. What got my attention, though, was the price. $4.99 for a twelve-ounce bottle of sugar-water! Yeef!

At the risk of being labeled a cheapskate, I will happily tell you that there is No Fucking Way I would spend $4.99 on a bottle of simple syrup. Not when I can make it myself with fifty cents’ worth of ingredients.

Lookee: Take a cup of white granulated sugar and a cup of water. Put them together in a saucepan. Bring to a boil just long enough for the sugar to dissolve. Cool and store in the vessel of your choice.

Now take all the money you saved - at least $4.50 - and put it in a jar. Do this a few times and you’ve saved enough for a nice bottle of rye whiskey... or single malt Scotch.

2 comments:

Teresa said...

I didn't know they sold Simple Syrup pre-packaged although I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Good grief!

As for the price - considering the price for a bottle of water that part doesn't surprise me. heh.

Randy Rager said...

Or a bottle of Booker's, the King of All Bourbons.