Dazed and confused? Not me. I’m just Lost in the Cheese Aisle.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

FAREWELL, UNCLE PHIL

Phil, R.I.P.
Uncle Phil, 23 January 1922 - 21 September 2010.

Barukh dayan emet: Blessed is the True Judge.

We Jews say these words when someone we love has passed on to Olam ha-Ba, the World to Come. But as we say them, in our heart of hearts, we wish there were a Court of Appeals...

Here, let words yield to pictures, and let the pictures tell the (highly abridged) story of a loving, wonderful, sweet man. Ave atque vale!

Young Phil
This mid-1931 photo shows Phil at age 9 with his mother and sister Bernice, the Momma d’Elisson.

Army Phil
Phil served in the European Theatre of Operations in World War II. He had all kinds of Army stories... but there were some especially harrowing ones that he kept close to the vest.

Phil’s Gang
Eighty years old, and you’d never know it. Phil celebrates with son Andy, wife Marge, and daughter Diane. Photo from January 2002.

Reunion Phil
With Aunt Marge at our family reunion, May 2007.

A Conversation with Phil
Talking with Elder Daughter, July 2010.

Sabrina Meets Phil
Sabrina visits Uncle Phil’s hobby shop. From Sabrina the Teen-Age Witch, issue 76, November 1982. ©1982 Archie Music Corp.

7 comments:

Kevin Kim said...

My condolences.

Peace and blessings,


Kevin

Teresa said...

May he rest in peace. My condolences to the family.

Bou said...

This is the uncle you were visiting while Pop was dying, isn't it?

I'm so sorry for your loss. From how you spoke of him, he was such a wonderful man.

My condolences...

Rahel Jaskow said...

Elisson, I'm so sorry. I enjoyed your posts about your Uncle Phil. May his sweet soul rest in peace, and may all who loved him find comfort....

BobG said...

My condolences to your family, and thank you for sharing with us. Another veteran of WWII and the Great Depression leaves us; the world is diminished every time one of their generation passes on.

Houston Steve said...

I take it that Uncle Phil really, really, really loved Aunt Marge. Just look at the way he was looking at her. And no one can love like that without being loved back. That's the way to be!!! Love each other folks - we don't have long enough to be pissy.

May his memory be a blessing for all of the clan. . .

Maven said...

My condolences!

PS: I loved the gif of your uncle on the phone. Sweet smile.